Your garbage disposal takes a lot. Every day it receives a new collection of food to grind, and every day it continues to do it’s job with a metaphorical smile on its face. Like all people and appliances, however, your garbage disposal needs a break. Years of working on the job can cause buildup, erosion and if untreated, the eventual breakdown of your garbage disposal. Avoid having your garbage disposal quit on the job by learning a few ways to keep it healthy.
Garbage disposal maintenance tips
- Fill your garbage disposal with ice cubes and a cup of rock salt, then run it for a few seconds.
- Keep your garbage disposal clean by pouring a little dish soap down the disposal letting it run with cold water.
- Use cold water when grinding food. This causes any grease or oil to solidify and then be grinded before reaching the trap.
- Alternatively, don’t use hot water because it will cause the grease to liquefy and clog the drain.
- Don’t use bleach or a drain cleaner to try and unclog your disposal.
- Don’t put large amounts of food, too many potato peels, animal bones or grease down your sink.
- Call a professional if your garbage disposal stops working or is working slowly.
Know when to call a professional
Garbage disposal replacements are expensive, so take caring for your disposal seriously. If your disposal exhibits any of the following signs.
- You keep pressing the restart button. This means you either have insufficient wiring or your disposal is beginning to age.
- You smell a foul odor. If you have tried all the quick tips, like lemon down the sink or using a little vinegar, then it’s time to call in the professionals. We can disassemble your disposal, clean out the mold and build up, and give you a better-than-new garbage disposal.
- You hear an unsettling sound, like metal on metal. This is an indicator that the parts have started to move incorrectly and need to be realigned. If you don’t call a professional, the parts will become damaged and you will have to replace the entire unit.
- Your garbage disposal constantly jams, even with small items. Your blades made be getting dull from age and need to be replaced, or there may be a blockage a specialist can clear out. Either way a professional is needed.
Sure, cleaning a garbage disposal can be messy business, but a sink filled with buildup is even messier. Don’t wait until your garbage disposal needs to be replaced. If you are in the Twin Cities metro region and are looking affordable and prompt service, call Marvel Sewer and Drain.
Using state of the art technology, we can clear your drains and clogs no matter how small or large, and get your garbage disposal back to new. We guarantee quick and quality service and promise 100% satisfaction or we’ll take care of the fee. Not only that, but we offer a 6-month guarantee that if the same drain backs up, we’ll come out and clean it again for free. Check out our testimonials, and call today to learn more.